While conventional wisdom used to have babies sleeping on their backs, bellies, sides, or whatever weird sleeping positions they twisted themselves into, the medical community laid down the official word in the ‘90s: putting babies on their backs reduces the risk of SIDS. But that gave rise to another concern: flat head syndrome.
Causes of Flat Head Syndrome
New parents, you’re right to worry about flat spots. 47% of newborns develop flat head syndrome. Babies have soft skulls to make childbirth easier and give their brains room to grow. But a soft skull combined with laying on their backs 24/7 is likely to make a dent (pun intended). The good news? Most infants lose the flat spot as they get older. The better news? There are steps parents can take to prevent flat head syndrome.
5 Ways to Prevent Flat Head Syndrome
- Loving arms. Carrying your baby around not only encourages intimacy, it also gives them less time on their backs, reducing the chance that they’ll develop a flat spot. Try to prevent too much time spent in a carrier or car seat.
- Shiny distractions. Preventing flat head syndrome isn’t just about getting babies off their backs, it’s also about strengthening the muscles in their necks, backs, and core. A mobile is a great way to get a baby’s head moving (and encourage curiosity).
- Equal (breast) treatment. Just like encouraging your baby to look around, switching sides during breastfeeding will strengthen different muscles in your infant’s neck, reducing the likelihood of flat head syndrome.
- Tummy time. While newborns spend a lot of time sleeping, tummy time is a great way to spend their waking hours (okay, minutes). Lay on the floor beside your baby, distracting her with toys and books. Need a little yourself? Lay on the floor on your back, giving you and your infant tummy-to-tummy time.
- The right swaddle. Unlike many swaddling blankets, the BundleBee gives infants comfort without restricting their movements too much. With built-in neck support and a soft, breathable fabric, it’s the secret to a peaceful night’s sleep.
A safer, more comfortable night’s sleep is in reach. Shop BundleBee swaddling blankets or contact us to learn more about the 10 second swaddle.